This past week I setup a Unix server in my basement. This is a little new for me, but a lot of fun. Just some notes below with some things I found quite useful.
- cp -a works better than plain cp to preserve creation dates and such
- RAID: specifically fakeRAID/mobo RAID. Create the RAID, create the partition (preferably in unix, installing X and using gparted makes it so much easier), use a label (maybe), add the partition to /etc/fstab, mount the volume.
- comparing directory structures for missing files: diff -r /dirA /dirB | grep Only
- Installing X and vncviewer helps a lot, but lets not keep vnc running when not in use. disable X from autoboot if possible
- samba4 is alpha. don’t use it unless you enjoy pain or just don’t want to deal with it. samba3 is solid.
- ushare for XBOX360 accessibility and DLNA/media sharing
- putty ftw
- 2TB may not be enough for two media hogs to share…